Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recipe: Chocolate Chip "Un-Cookies"

I've been telling everyone about this absolutely amazing recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies for awhile now, so wanted to finally share. 



It's the strangest things, but since going through my pregnancy my body has completely changed the type of food it craves and tolerates. Before, I used to crave anything heavy in carbs, cheese, meat, and sugar. Now, those things don't appeal to me at all. Many things I used to eat actually make me sick even. I think the main difference is that I'm more in tune with my body now and what my body is actually craving..not my mind. Deep, huh?

The problem is...I don't want to and can't eat like I used to...but, I don't really know what to make myself to eat anymore.

So I started exploring some new recipes and came across a blog called Love Veggies and Yoga, filled with tons of great recipes, especially desserts! I could never understand before how some people could be vegetarians or vegans (and, truthfully, thought it was a little crazy)...but, now that I don't really enjoy eating much meat and crave veggies I've been exploring looking into some vegetarian recipes to try out. And, honestly, most of them look really great!

I'll start sharing any in particular that I try and really like.

And I LOOOVED these chocolate chip "un-cookies" as I like to think of them. They taste (almost) exactly like real chocolate chip cookie dough. And it's the strangest thing to eat a ball of "cookie dough", knowing it's actually good for you..and not feel the grossness and guilt associated with eating real cookie dough. I love that I'll be able to make so many great tasting, healthy desserts for my baby girl someday too!

Seriously, try these out and let me know what you think! Here's the recipe directly from the Veggies Yoga blog. You can check out the direct link here.

Averie’s Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
2/3 c raw cashews
1/3 c oats
2 Tbsp Agave
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (Omit and use Agave to preserve true Raw Status if you care)

1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 c Chocolate Chips (or to preserve true raw status, take 2 Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder and add 1 Tbsp Agave, optional dash of vanilla extract, whisk and blendSpread into a thin layer on wax or parchment paper, freeze.  Take frozen chocolate off parchment and crumble the shreds into the mixture as your raw “chips”.)
Recipe Yields: Approximately 17 Cookie Dough Balls


Optional Tweaks:
Add a dusting of cocoa powder, carob powder, or powdered sugar to the finished balls
Roll in raw cocoa nibs or shredded coconut
Rather than adding in chocolate chips, add raisins instead and add a dash of cinnamon to the batter for Oatmeal-Cinnamon-Raisin Raw Cookie Dough Balls
Flatten or mold into larger cookie shapes
Dehydrate for a more “cooked tasting” version of a chocolate chip cookie.  But gawd I love the raw dough taste so this is out for me!

1 comments:

Brittany Tally said...

I have no idea how those ingredients can come together to taste anything like a cookie, but I trust you! I think I'll give them a try. Really mostly out of curiosity!

Post a Comment