Thursday, February 17, 2011

Frugal Friday: Paper Towels

paper towel dish towel photo

I've seen "Frugal Friday" around other blogs and have been wanting to start doing some posts here for awhile. I've learned so many frugal tips from reading blogs. They have really transformed the way I live my life now truly for the better.

Most of what I've learned has required me to change the way I view many things in my life that I once considered a necessity.

It's such an amazing feeling once you open your eyes to another way of doing things.

So I want to start this week with one of my favorites: Paper Towels

Paper towels are so ingrained as a necessity in our everyday lives now. It NEVER occurred to me on my own that I could live without them. When I first heard of people going paper-towel-less I thought they were some crazy radical hippies trying to bring me down. But I was reading the tips from blogs from women that seemed perfectly normal to me otherwise. Hmmm...

Honestly, the real catalyst for me to try to cut back/out paper towels was not because I wanted to change the world and save trees and reduce waste...it was because I was super into couponing at the time and was really cheap. They were huge chunk out of my bare bones budget! So if there was a way I could get away with not wasting money on paper towels I wanted to give it a try.

So...I started using re-usable, washable dish towels for things I used to use paper towels for.

Wiping Counters
Drying hands
Dusting
Washing Windows
Spills
Napkins

And, honestly, the switch was truly effortless! Plus, only then did I realize how truly wasteful paper towels are..for my bank account and the environment! 

Okay.. I will admit that there are two things I still use paper towels for...draining bacon/ground beef grease and gross dog messes on the carpet. I realize I could keep some rags around for that...but it's still about finding a balance that works for you.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment