Monday, January 31, 2011

Resolution Update

Well it is just about the end of the month and one month into my New Years Resolution of "better time management". Thought I would give you a little update to let you know how I'm doing with it.


This definitely isn't something that will change over night. To have better time management is almost changing who I am as person, because I am trying to permanently change some bad habits I have developed over an entire lifetime. So it has been a slow process, but I have really been trying to work on it.

Baby steps are important and I think the only way I can be successful at anything. Because diving in head-first into something is just way too overwhelming and makes me want to quit before I have even begun. So some little things I have been doing....

1. If I want to workout that day, I get up, gets dressed and head straight to the gym first thing! Even before breakfast. (Or workout at home). Helps me to just get it out of the way so I can go about my day. The longer I procrastinate with working out the bigger the chance I won't do it at all. Plus I notice if I work out in the morning it really gives me energy and gets me motivated to be productive that day.

2. I have also been trying to limit my time on the internet during the morning and afternoon hours. I try to save it for the evening when I am relaxing.

3. If I REALLY don't feel like being very productive any given day, I tell myself get at least one thing accomplished off your To Do list. At least ONE. I figure it is completely doable and hey, one thing is better then nothing at all! Thats one more thing I don't have to do the next day.

So those are a couple things I have been doing. Small changes but still have a big impact on my life. I am going to keep working hard over this next month and let you know my progress.

On an ending note, I have a few things I have learned. Better time management for myself isn't just about checking off as many things as I can off my To Do list. It is so much more then that. It has a lot to do with being honest with myself and knowing what really works for ME. For example I said before how I am going to try to cut down on my morning time. Well I did cut back a little, but it turns out morning time is very important for me and I think I need it. Or another example, Mondays are just a tough day for me so I have accepted that Mondays just aren't going to be the most productive day of the week. It makes me feel a little better giving myself those "breaks" and not being so hard on myself.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Go B! You're right, the key is to remember to take baby steps and to be proud of the small accomplishes you have made and not focus on the things that didn't get done.

Post a Comment