Tuesday, November 8, 2011

DIY Thanksgiving and Fall Decor on a Budget

As my sister Brittany and I were discussing, we don't have a lot of extra money for decorations, as I'm sure most people don't nowadays. Homemade decorations are such a great way to make your home festive on a budget. Not to mention the personal satisfaction that comes with making something and displaying it in your home. SO beats any store bought decor.

I was so excited that Brittany found inspiration from my post on DIY Halloween decorations, by creating these adorable light up jack-o-lanterns. So I thought I'd share some more inspiration for DIY Fall and Thanksgiving decorations.


Here are some of my favorites:

          
I have a love affair with DIY wreaths, like my Valentine's wreath here, and my Spring wreath here.  It's been a great way for me to break into crafting. You can find some great Fall wreath inspiration at my new favorite craft site, U-Create. You can buy plain wreaths and wreath forms for cheap at any craft store and add anything to them. LOVE the look of the burlap here.

linda fall wreath



I love this "Count Your Blessings" jar. You could use any container you already have, anything to fill it, and just make your own cute little sign.


                                             


I love the idea for a "thanks board" and it looks pretty easy. I really want to work on bringing a more personalized touch to the home to surround me with more family pictures and things with meaning.

I was thinking you could also do one with your last name and hang family pictures below. You could buy pre-made wooden letters from Michael's or Joann's or just make your own templates and cut them out from scrapbook paper.


                                
Here you can find a tutorial and free templates for this adorable Fall banner, just need some felt, which runs pretty cheap.



I love this "be thankful" board also:
                                          
You could do this with a phrase for any holiday. You could also make it on a piece of paper instead of the board and use a frame you already have (or get one at the dollar store).


And the Graphics Fairy is an awesome site with tons of free images. I love the vintage-y look!
                                           [turkeyboy001.jpg]
                                          (Something about this picture totally cracks me up! :)


                          

I love ideas like this wheat basket that are so simple, but my very uncrafty mind would never think of on my own. Just find a basket or any container (look around the house, you may already have one), and add a ribbon and some wheat or other Fall looking fillers from a craft store.

Here's another take on the wheat that I love:

fall jars tutorial

I think a trip to the craft store to stock up on some wheat stalks is in my near future.

Let me know if you make any of these or have found any other fun craft ideas to share!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the wheat basket idea. Even someone as non-crafty as me could do that! And I love the simplicity and earthiness of it.
I also really like the "Thanks" board. It's something I could even leave up all year to be reminded of how blessed I am and how much I have to be thankful for.

Brittany Tally said...

Thank you for the great ideas and inspiration! Whenever You post things like this I feel so motivated I want to drop everything and head to the craft store immediately! I love the "Thanks board" as well. What a cute idea for the Thanksgiving holiday season. I think I would cover mine with some great fall fabrics.

Post a Comment