Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tiffany's Garden Results 2011

I mentioned back in April that I was attempting to start a garden from seeds this year for the first time. It was something I had wanted to do for a long time, but really intimidated me. I figured the best way to get over that was just to jump in and give it my best shot.

And, to my utter astonishment, they actually grew!! I'm not sure why that was surprising, given that's what seeds were designed by God to do...but it just simply amazed me to watch them grow.

But I couldn't keep them protected forever inside my home. Eventually the big moment came to move them outside out into the big world and see how they would do.

I felt like a nervous parent sending their child off to college. What would they do without me checking on them all day, every day? Would they get enough food and water? Be too cold? Were they really ready to go? Was a sending them off too soon? Too late??

Kind of ridiculous for a bunch of plants, but goes to show how much of yourself you put into raising them from seeds.

So you can imagine how gratifying it was when, in July, I looked out my back door and saw this:


And this:

In the beautiful raised bed my husband built to help support my dream.

I would just marvel at the beauty of the life I had helped create.

To think, this particular exquisite flower would never have existed without my help.

Or this bean pod.

My first harvest!

Aren't they simply lovely??

It's sad now to watch it slowly wither with the change to cooler weather. Overall, I'd say my little project was a total success and I couldn't be more proud of myself! I'm already working on some plans for next year, deciding what I want more of (peppers!) and less of (squash). I highly encourage and challenge everyone to take a shot at growing something, anything! I'm going to start another batch of wheatgrass this week, to keep something growing inside over the Winter, to hold me over until next Spring when I get to do it all over again!! Can't wait!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment