Sunday, October 23, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Bread (and Muffin) Recipe



Let me start by confessing that the main reason this is vegan is that I was out of eggs and too lazy to run to the store. Our friends invited us to dinner tonight and insisted we didn't need to bring anything, so I needed something that would eliminate my guilt at showing up completely empty handed, while also not completely disregarding her request.

I scanned my pantry and fridge and it didn't look promising until I noticed the can of pumpkin I've been saving for something special. I thought a pumpkin bread would be perfect. It can be served as a dessert or saved for breakfast and snacks.

I was out of eggs, so tracked down a vegan recipe here, at Joy the Baker. I modified it a little, eliminating the walnuts because I didn't have any, cloves because I don't like them, and adding a ton of extra cinnamon. I also added some ground ginger because I like it, had it, and saw it used in other pumpkin bread recipes, but that's totally optional.

It turned out amazing! I did end up playing around with it after all the ingredients were mixed. Since it doesn't have eggs, you can go to town taste testing the batter.  I ended up adding some more sugar (crazy, I know, I'm usually trying to cut it. But because this was for friends I wanted it to taste great). I also kept adding more cinnamon and allspice.

makes 2 loaves (or 4 mini loaves and 12 muffins) *Freezes well


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour ( or whole wheat flour… or just use only all-purpose flour)
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon (to 1 Tablespoon) cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree, or just under two cups
1 cup vegetable/canola oil**
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup water

**I usuallly try to avoid these oils, but I had some to use up. Next time I make this I will try 3/4 c coconut oil and 1/4 c applesauce.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place a rack in the center of the oven.  Grease and flour loaf  or muffin pans and set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
In a medium bowl, carefully whisk together pumpkin puree, oil, maple syrup and water.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a spatula to fold all of the ingredients together.  Make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl well, finding any stray flour bits to mix in.  Fold in most of the chopped walnuts, reserving some to sprinkle on top of the batter once in the pan.


Divide the dough between the two greased pans and sprinkle with a few walnut pieces.  Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from the oven.  Let rest in the pans for 20 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack.


Serve warm.  Maybe even wrap one loaf up in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for future munching.


I wrapped up the mini loaves in plastic wrap with this adorable gingham ribbon and gave them out to friends for a little Autumn cheer. Made me so happy. Almost as happy as eating this yummy breads with a glass of warm apple cider. Enjoy this lovely little Fall treat! 


1 comments:

Brittany Tally said...

Love this! Thanks! The mini loaves are so adorable and fun. Next fall party I have I'm going to give the mini loaves away at the end of the night as a parting gift.

Post a Comment